Friday 24 February 2012

Fran's Magazine Article - First Draft

The Mondays are feisty newcomers to the music scene. When they enter the café in south London, their instant appeal hits you like the number 13 bus. Frankie, Lily and Amelia wander in with effortless cool, vintage style and rock attitude. They are shockingly nice for a rock band and I am immediately drawn into their gossiping on who kissed who at the Brit Awards after party. We begin our interview with my remarks on how well they did at the recent Brits, with them winning 3 awards, one for best newcomers. “I know it is incredible. I don’t think we will ever come down from this high.” Lily states with a huge grin on her face. “We really owe it to our fans. They have helped us throughout our journey and for them to reward us with this is amazing”. After receiving every critics praise for their up and coming album ‘Alphabetical Order’ they really are one of the best girl bands in Britain right now. The Mondays unique sound is so popular they are even playing their songs in the café we are sitting in.  “It was crazy how quickly we became stars. One minute I could get on the tube without a single remark, and now wherever I go people ask for my autograph.” Yet, these girls still seem grounded, with all three of them growing up together in Manchester. From a young age they all sang together, and now all at the age of 22, they have become household names. Frankie talks about her mum’s uneasy attitude towards her career choice “When I originally told my mum that I wanted to be a singer, I think she was disappointed. But now she sees what we have become she is immensely proud me.” The band changed their names several times while trying to break into the industry and brought out multiple albums before striking gold with ‘The Mondays’. They were signed quickly to Island Records and suddenly got star status. Amelia, being the leader singer, feels she has pressures to stand up against the great artists that are signed to their record label. “You have people like Rihanna and Jay-Z who are recording in studios next you, and I feel like this a dream, as I feel nowhere near as good as them” But as they have shown, they are as good as any a-list artist. They first single ‘Shear Panic’ went straight to number one, and Frankie, Amelia and Lily’s fan base just grew from there.  Each girl can guitar, with Frankie being the only one who can play the piano. Each member is highly talked about, whether it’s about their beauty, fashion or personalities, all are admired throughout Britain. “If this is only the beginning of our career, we can’t wait to see what’s to come in the future. I don’t think we ever want this feeling to end”.

No comments:

Post a Comment